Monday, February 02, 2004

Everything I Know I Learned Listening to Public Radio

Pete, these guys are advertising folks so maybe they are well poised to know what the industry is considering. But TV folks are bringing back Dark Shadows? I was led to believe that the original was this show with horrid production values and your standard meaningless soap opera plots. Then again, everything I know about Dark Shadows comes from listening to one episode of This American Life, my favorite radio show which the local radio station now plays on Saturday afternoons, the bastards. (Thank goodness for the free audio feeds. Ahhhh...)

But Charlie's Angels? Frankenstein? Maybe there's nothing new under the sun but the networks aren't even trying. Then again, another radio show had a whole Nothing New episode recently, talking about sampling music, economies of recycling, cooking with leftovers...



מַהשֶּׁהָיָה, הוּא שֶׁיִּהְיֶה, וּמַהשֶּׁנַּעֲשָׂה, הוּא שֶׁיֵּעָשֶׂה וְאֵין כָּלחָדָשׁ, תַּחַת הַשָּׁמֶשׁ
—קהלת א:ט

I can't find a better translation then the King James:
"The thing that hath been, it [is that] which shall be; and that which is done [is] that which shall be done: and [there is] no new [thing] under the sun."
I have an official Conservative Judaism siddur that has Kohelet excerpts, but all their translations are so wishy-washy.

(Unicode text from here)

No comments: