Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Don't forget I read this alound in front of my family and 200 of our nearst and dearest friends

I'm writing a letter to the proprietor of the worthless word for the day site. (link via Uncle Jazzbeau's Gallimaufrey)

Today's word is shunamitism, meaning "rejuvenation of an old man by a young woman", taken from a biblical incident at the beginning of the first book of Kings. It could just as easily mean "being a young boy getting rejuvenated by an older man" I think, because Kings 2 chapter 4 is etched into my mind.

וישכב על־הילד וישם פיו על־פיו עיניו על־עיניו כפי על־כפי

"...he lay upon the child, placing his mouth on the child's mouth, his eyes on the child's eyes, and his hands on the child's hands." The next verse: "Then he stretched himself on him; and the child's body became warm. " Sure, he's bringing the kid back from the dead, but I've always felt it's an uncomfortably intimate image.
(text from bible.ort.org)

No comments: